Pages

12.10.09

Remember When...part 1

*Trigger Warning*
A touch, a smell, a sound; sometimes even the faintest glimpse from the corner of the eye, can bring back a memory as if it happened five minutes ago.  A memory so deeply buried the mind no longer remembers the original happening, until that brief moment in time which yanks that memory to the fore-front of all thought.
Cooper...I taste bitter copper.  Oh, I’m not crazy.  That’s right I almost forgot, that is the taste of my own blood pooling in my mouth after being punched for I don’t know what this time.  My tongue running around my teeth, they are all still there!  Feeling a great relief at this!
Tentatively I open mouth a little, cool my jaw still works, so probably not broken.  My face is sore and stiff but it seems to all be working properly.  Blink.  Can’t.  Wait, what...can’t blink.  My hands are frantically searching my face for what is stopping my eye, just the left one, from working. 
Blood.  Is that from my nose, mouth....eye?  Get up.  Need to see a mirror, assess the damage done this time.  Slowly pulling myself to my hands and knees, oh my head is aching so bad.  I would rather just lay here.  NO!  I have to get up, make sure I am ok, get my self cleaned up.  I swore this would never happen again.
Head spinning, but I’m up!  Walking with an unsteady gait to the bathroom.  Look in the mirror...who is THAT?!?  That isn’t me!  WOW, this is way worse than last time.  Wonder what I did?  Ok, get in the shower, clean off the blood.  I scrub so hard, trying to make it all go away.
The more I scrub the more the memory (oh that illusive little thing) comes back.  Scrub harder so it goes away too.  Cry.  For here and only here are my tears hidden from view.
Back to the mirror.  Front door clicks.  Heart stops. 
Oh, it’s nothing.  Just my boyfriend, he was out, and brought me flowers.  Oh how nice.  I can go make dinner now and everything is fine.  I still can’t see from my left eye, though...that’s weird.
Inside my head everything is weird I guess.  I’m screaming....WHAT DID I DO?  Oh that’s right, I’m a lazy cow.  I remember now, while I am pulling a pan from the cabinet to start dinner.  How dumb of me to want to change from my work clothes when I got home, before I started dinner. 
How could I be so stupid as to think that maybe, just maybe since he wasn’t working he could have started dinner. 
Hands on my back.  Kisses on my neck.  Skin crawling.
I turn around.  Expecting...what I do not know.
Flash back to reality...I find gentle open arms, waiting to hold me...while I remember when...

No comments:

Post a Comment